Recipe Servings: 2
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes
Total Cook Time: 01 Hour
Difficulty Level: Medium
Get to taste the authentic Italian flavours with a healthy spin. Risotto made with a mix of barley, spinach and subtle spices.
Ingredients Of Barley And Spinach Risotto
- 1.5 litre veg stock
- 25 gms – olive oil
- 25 gms – butter
- 50 gms – chopped onion
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups barley
- 2 Tbsp freshly chopped sage
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 100 gms baby spinach
How to Make Barley and Spinach Risotto
- 1.Place stock and 3 cups of cold water in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 2.Cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture starts to simmer.
- 3.Reduce heat to low to keep hot.
- 4.Heat butter and half the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat.
- 5.Add onion and garlic.
- 6.Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened.
- 7.Add barley.
- 8.Stir to combine.
- 9.Reduce heat to low.
- 10.Add 1/2 cup stock mixture to barley mixture.
- 11.Cook, stirring, until stock has absorbed.
- 12.Repeat with remaining stock, 1/2 cup at a time, until all liquid is absorbed and barley is tender and creamy
- 13.Stir lemon rind into barley and add spinach, check for seasoning.
- 14.Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- 15.Season with salt and pepper.
- 16.Serve risotto topped with lemon rind.